32.

Oh my goodness, you guys. I am the worst at posting. I'd apologize but I don't even know if anyone is left here to see it.

So, I went to Asia. I went to Europe then back to Asia then back to Europe and it sounds like I'm way more of a jet setter than I really am. (By the way, if you helped fund that trip, my thank you notes are coming along slowly but surely so please don't think you are not cherished.) In Asia we ate lamb and so much bread and our taxi got pulled over for driving on the wrong side of the road. Sometimes things happen, you know? Sometimes you're in Istanbul and the cab driver doesn't know where your hotel is so he tries to drop you off at a different one, as if they're all interchangeable. Sometimes in Istanbul, the salesmen offer you a discount for having blue eyes (but I'm pretty sure that one's a scam) and they invite you into their shop for saffron tea even though you've made it very clear you're not buying it. That's just how they are. We could take a lesson on hospitality from the Turks, I think.

There's been peach-picking and wine tasting and the search for the elusive chocolate nacho, and although there are moments and even days of how-is-this-my-life?, there are more days and moments of thankfulness that this is my life. You know?

I turned 32. I celebrated with my lovely friends who all showed up even though it was short notice and they are busy people. We sipped fruity margaritas and ate chips and I felt very loved and that's about the best you can ask for on a Thursday night in Tucson in July. And there was gelato so it really doesn't get any better.

I went shoe shopping. I might have bought 6 pairs of shoes. But some are gifts. Plus, charity. They give one pair of shoes to a child in need for every pair that a woman not-in-need buys. I'm kind of a really generous person, when you look at it that way. Shoes shoes shoes. You know you have a problem when you're rummaging through boxes of shoes in an un-air-conditioned warehouse, in Phoenix, in July.

We revisited the 90s at a Matchbox Twenty concert and that made the 90s seem like a pretty fantastic place. When I moved into the dorms my freshman year, we went to Bookman's and I bought two CDs and one of them was the first Matchbox Twenty CD. It had probably been out for 3 years at that point but I loved every song on it and I still do and the band knows that and they played for us and it was so great. I don't even care if that's lame because I'm a child of the 90s, after all, and it was good to go back. 

I have a new obsession and it's this lipstick- supposedly the perfect red lipstick. Don't get me wrong. I don't wear lipstick and I don't wear red lipstick but on the inside I am a girl who wears red lipstick. The perfect red lipstick costs $35 and I don't want to buy a $35 lipstick without trying it first because that's a lot of money to spend on lipstick. And I can't even pretend it's for charity. The closest place to buy (and therefore sample) the magical lipstick in person is Las Vegas and it only makes sense to go to Vegas to try on the lipstick rather than drive down to the mall and waste $35 on red lipstick that I'll never wear. Logic. I have it.

Wow, I wrote this entire novel and I nearly forgot about 32 new things. That's an idea I'm blatantly ripping off from another blog I read, but maybe if I don't mention what blog it is you'll assume I'm interesting and full of good ideas. So this year I am writing a list of 32 new things do to before my 33rd birthday. Some will be big, some small, some silly, some totally boring, but I'll attempt to do them all and if it seems worthwhile, I'll tell you about it. I only have about 7 things on the list so far so I'm not going to present it to you just yet. Stay tuned!

This post would be so much better with pictures, wouldn't it? Here are some random pictures with no context. I have to go eat grilled cheese now.







Comments

Popular Posts