Cupcake Fail

Today I wanted to try out a cupcake recipe that I am considering using in a month or so when I make a gazillion cupcakes for my Gram's 80th birthday party. I have this vision of my mind of dozens of white-frosted cupcakes, decorated with these pretty sugared flowers I made last weekend, displayed on random antique cake stands and things like that. Close your eyes and picture it. Pretty, right?


The recipe I was testing today was for Old Fashioned Chocolate Cupcakes. I chose it because the ingredients were things I had on hand, the process was simple, and the yield high enough that I wouldn't have to make too many batches to have enough.

It was basically a total fail.



Well, not a total fail, because they do in fact taste delicious. And they were easy enough to make. But they look awful. Out of a batch of 23, 4 of them are decent-looking. The rest overflowed and subsequently fell in on themselves. I think the secret here is filling the liners exactly right- the recipe said to fill them 2/3 full but I think 1/2 full is probably safer.

So, I don't know if I'm going to attempt this again. I don't really want to make numerous test batches and then still have to make 4 more batches for the party, but I don't want to count on a recipe coming out and end up with a mess like this. Honestly, I'm not a huge cake person anyway and I'd be happy with Betty Crocker- even better if I can get them on sale for $1 each, but I know not everyone is of that mind set.

Later this week I'm testing a recipe for 3 Vanilla Cupcakes with vanilla cream cheese frosting. Hopefully that attempt will be a little more successful. In the meantime I have approximately 18 ugly but tasty cupcake disasters to eat.

Comments

AprilJ said…
My friend has a cupcake cookbook and here's the recipe (as if you don't already have this but they say it's the best)..

1 box cake mix (no pudding in the mix or light cake mixes..duh)
1 cup buttermilk (in place of the water called for on the box)
Vegetable oil (whatever they call for on the box)
4 lg eggs (in place of whatever called for on box)

Follow instructions on the box, using amounts above even if the buttermilk is MORE than the water called for. Beat until moistened x30 seconds. Beat on high for 2 mins until thick.

Blah.. blah..
Erin said…
Does blah blah blah mean, bake as directed? I am seriously considering this recipe. I need something no-fail because I have a feeling I will be baking these at like 11PM the night before the party in the church kitchen in Duncan, and that is not a place you want to be in when you find out your recipe didn't work.
AprilJ said…
Yes... blah-blah-blah meant fill the liners 2/3 full and bake until they're done. And I meant to say that the buttermilk is likely LESS than the amount of water called for but that is OK per the authors. Good luck with the baking.
Anonymous said…
What are those funny little cups you are baking in?
ErinG said…
Those are party and nut cups. I saw the idea on a blog and that was also part of today's test. I like the cups but they're a little tricky to eat out of.
Filleman Family said…
I told Call tonight that I would also bring cupcakes and do a yellow cake cupcake and frost them with Chocolate frosting . . . they won't be half as pretty as yours - the flowers came out beautiful - but they are Mark's favorite and I figure the more dessert the better :) I also use that recipe of April's - it works like a dream. I saw alton brown (who I think is annoying but very smart) say that you can't possibly recreate the light texture of the box mix because you can't purchase ingredients that fine - he always starts with a dry box and vamps it up because the ingredients are the perfect consistency . . . just a random fyi and rationale to use the mix :)
GeleeneG said…
My life theory: frosting covers a multitude of sins. Don't worry about the cupcakes. As long as they aren't outright gross no one will care.
Erin said…
Fair enough, mix it is then. I'm still going to make the 3 Vanilla Cupcakes because I already started making vanilla sugar for them but I'll plan on cupcakes and be pleasantly surprised if anything else works out.

Popular Posts