One Night at the Call Center (Part 1)

This is a re-run from my old blog, posted by request.

Have you ever found yourself sitting at your job wondering how on earth you ended up there? I think that's happened to me in every job I've ever had, but at my current job it's pretty much every 7.5 minutes.
So today is crazy busy. 100+ calls in queue (that means long hold times, that means grouchy people when they do get through), and call after call from people who didn't pay their bill, didn't do this, didn't do that. Blah. How did I end up here? I wonder.
"Thank you for calling Geico, my name is Erin, may I have your policy number please?'
"I don't have a policy number, I have a complaint. Those advertisements with that ugly rat-man are horrible. I just hate them. I don't mind the ones with the actors, but every time that rat-man comes on it makes me really angry. They're so inappropriate."
And so on, and so forth, for a good 3-5 minutes.
I ask you, people, what kind of person sits on hold for any amount of time to complain about a commercial on tv? The entire point of those commercials is that they are offensive to cavemen. And- newsflash!- there are no cavemen!!! That's the comedy of it!!! I wanted to point out to this lady that the television comes equipped with not only a button that changes the channel but also an off switch, and if, for some unfortunate reason that is not sufficient, her little legs could probably carry her right out of earshot of the offending commercial.
Of course I said no such thing. I apologized for her unhappiness, thanked her repeatedly for her concern, and promised to pass the complaint along to the appropriate person. In my little notebook I wrote "caveman" and underlined it 3 times.
I hate my job.
I hate my job.
I hate my job.
Side note: if you are the type of person who would ever call a business and bitch out someone over something that any reasonable human being would understand they have no control over, shame on you. There's a special place in hell for the likes of you. Heh heh heh. Secondly, if you think that person passes on your "thoughts and ideas" to the "appropriate person" please understand that means they absolutely don't give a rat's ass about your opinions and will only tell their buddies over lunch when they talk about the moronic customers they've had to put up with.

Comments

AprilJ said…
So we should just ask for the supervisor straight away? Kidding. :)

Popular Posts