32 New Things: Compliment Someone to Their Supervisor

I used to have a job where a compliment from a customer was a big deal. I think you got a certificate and they would decorate your cube with streamers and stuff. I can't say I ever had it happen to me, but I only worked there for like 3 months so I'm not too worried about it. The point is, though, that it was important to us (and to our management) to know that we were doing a good job. Since then I've always thought I should make a point to let someone know when I've gotten great service, because you never know what it might mean to them. Maybe they will get streamers! Who am I to deny anyone streamers?

This morning I had to go to the auto parts store to get a new battery for my car. I was a tiny bit anxious because although I have had good experiences there in the past, I never am certain that they're going to help me uninstall the old battery and install the new one, plus I was trying to get a discount under the warranty. Plus batteries are heavy. Plus it's dirty under the hood and I was on my way to work. So I went to the store and I bought the battery and I gave the employee the receipt from the dead one and he did his magic and got me a deal. Then he said "Let me grab some tools and I'll put this in for you." And that's just what he did. I didn't even have to ask. He just did it. It's so not a big deal but it was such a relief and 10 minutes later I was back on the road. I wasn't even late for work.

It seemed like a good chance to tell the company they have good employees, so I did. I found their website, found their contact information, and dashed off a quick e-mail to tell them I appreciated their customer service. Not long after that I got an e-mail back that said thanks for telling us, we'll forward it on to the store and the district manager. I thought that went well and I hope that Darren gets a streamer and a certificate or whatever they give auto parts workers for being good at their jobs.

Comments

Popular Posts