32 New Things: Take a Spontaneous Road Trip

I am a planner. I like to scour the Internet for the best deals and the best places and read reviews and opinions and guides and charts and live my life accordingly. I've been on few trips in my life where things weren't plotted out well in advance, because what if, what if, WHAT IF? What if there's no room at the inn and I have to sleep in the car? What if the tickets are sold out? What if unplanned fun happens?!

I should confess that I was planning this spontaneous trip for the end of the month. I was also planning to lie to you about it and pretend it was spontaneous. I'm sorry. It did kind of start out unplanned...until we started planning. It went from "We should go to Disneyland" to "Hotels seem full/expensive that weekend, maybe we better make a reservation...just in case" to booking rooms and dinner packages because if you're going you want to be sure to do all that you want to do, right?

Last Friday my cousin and I were e-mailing back and forth about something, which we are apt to do never do because we are working and that would be unprofessional and I said something like "Ugh, I wish it was Disneyland day." to which she replied "Rooms are only $99!". After a few more exchanges debating the pros and cons (Pros: Cheaper, happening immediately and not in 3 weeks, smaller crowds. Cons: Bad weather.) we decided to go for it.

I zoomed home on my lunch break and threw some clothes in a bag. Once I got off work I headed straight to Phoenix and we were on our way by 6PM. Disneyland or bust...or something.

We got to our hotel at 11PM California time and were at the park when it opened the next day. Fortunately this cousin and I have done this trip a time or two or ten and we have it down to a science. The bad weather kept the crowds away and we walked on to nearly every ride. We ate delicious Disneyland food, rode all the rides we wanted and even had time for a mid-day nap back at the hotel. We're not 19 anymore, you know?

That night, we met up with some friends who live in the area and had dinner with them, then went back to the park for a few more rides to end the evening. The next day we hit up Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner Restaurant for breakfast then got back on the road for the drive home. We got back to Phoenix around 4:30, just less than 48 hours after we left. Fast, unplanned, and so much fun!

The best thing about a spontaneous road trip is that you don't have the agonizing wait for the day to arrive. You have, at best, a few frantic hours of making arrangements (We still booked a room before we left), the giddiness of doing something out of the ordinary and maybe a little irresponsible, and the excitement of a weekend full of fun stuff that you didn't know was coming. Can't beat that. High five, bro!

Comments

Clayton said…
That sounds like FUN! Greta and I once, in college, did the same thing.. Disneyland except we were like 19 and actually had no money. We shared a kids' hamburger meal and ate PB and honey sandwiches the rest of the time. It was so fun!!!! Glad it worked out for you guys.. and we stayed in a sketchy MOTEL for $60/night.

Popular Posts