New Thing: Buy and eat weird stuff from the Asian Supermarket

I put this thing on my list because the Asian supermarket, if you've never been, is a wonderland of strange foods like durian fruits and fish balls and pork meat loafs (with or without skin) wrapped in banana leaves. There are a million kinds of rice and more foods made with mung beans than you ever knew existed, if, in fact, you even knew that mung beans existed.

So I found a friend who is generally up for adventures and food and we set off through the aisles and we bought the weird things and we cooked the weird things and this happened at least a month ago but I haven't written about it because honestly, it's just not that interesting of a story to tell. It's like...we ate weird food, and it was fine. Nothing happened. I've now incorporated green curry paste into my culinary rotation. It was completely...not a big deal.

That's the thing, though, right? About life? Something that feels like a big deal turns out to be nothing at all. A friend once told me that he thinks everyone needs to change in some way. Ask God about it, he said. See how He's telling you to change. So I stored that idea in my mind and carried on with my life. But it kept coming up. I think that's how God works sometimes- He keeps bringing up the same idea again and again, like, hello, I am speaking to you, pay attention to this. I've heard it called the sacred echo. And this echo, for me, this idea that appeared over and over, was fear. Or maybe it's more accurate to say, don't fear. Don't be afraid. Fear not. There's nothing to gain by being afraid. Afraid of whatever- eating a gross food, being uncomfortable, being laughed at, looking silly- who cares? As the saying goes, if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten. And if you don't like where you're at, or where your life is headed, change course. Change. Man.

I don't really like putting my feelings on the internet. It's easier to talk about the mystery of Jubes at the Asian market and the assortment of tiny mushrooms. Way less scary, you might say. But this is what's real. Tiny revelations and small changes that turn into something more, eventually. And also dinosaurs.

I don't recommend the pork loaf.


Comments

GeleeneG said…
This is similar to a quote I recently heard:
If you’re offered a seat on a rocket ship, don’t ask which seat, just get on. Sheryl Sandberg.

Popular Posts