What's In A Name?


"Guess what I want, but I'm not going to beg for it?...A nickname. Because you can't- you can't make it for yourself, like you can make yourself a new hairstyle, but you can’t say well now I go by the name of The General or whatever…" -Marcel The Shell With Shoes On

I feel like I'm on the precipice of some kind of revelation.

It's come to me that I have a bit of  a fascination with nicknames. I, apparently, am a fan of the shortened name. Alas, I don't have a name that really lends itself to being shortened. So I nickname other people...probably against their will, although most people are too polite to say anything. (The Jim I branded Jimmy, Dan who I insisted was Danny, just to name a couple.) I once tried to convince my older sister that she should go by Jill, which is not related to her actual name in any meaningful way. I was not successful. I called my little sister Squirt (a terrible choice, which I unabashedly stole from the Baby-Sitters Club) until my mom made me stop. I just want those nicknames, darn it!

I'm sure this means something but I haven't figured out what that might be. So, you know. I thought I'd put it here. On the Internet. Forever.

You're welcome.

Comments

Popular Posts