Let's Make A List!

There's something especially cool about being able to pepper your speech with pop culture references all casually. Or maybe that's just my circle of friends? Anyway, here are some quotes I use all too often- except they're totally random, so no one knows I'm quoting anything and I just end up looking like I'm a few fries short of a Happy Meal.


I like corn on the cob.
This isn't from a movie or TV show. It's not even a spoken quote. It's from a greeting card. Probably only my cousin Amy can understand this, but sometimes it's just appropriate to randomly pipe up about corn on the cob. When I say it, I get a lot of strange looks, because people think I'm actually saying I like corn on the cob. Which, I mean, I do, but the point is that I'm quoting Fresh Ink. Except people don't quote greeting cards. Normal people, anyway. Major fail.


Yeah, the Knicks rule!
There is a Friends quote for nearly every occasion, so why I'd choose this one, which is relevant in approximately zero situations, I don't know. I just like it. I like to say it when it makes absolutely no sense, and that is pretty much all the time. I suppose if I was watching the Knicks play, then maybe it would fit, but I'm pretty sure that's never, ever happened, so I just continue to sprinkle it into conversations where it doesn't belong.

There's no time! There's never any time!
This shouldn't even be on the list because anyone who grew up in the 80s, and even some who didn't, know what this is from and how to respond. If I say it and don't get the right reaction, a little piece of me dies.

FINE BY ME!
Ah, another one from Friends. This one is more in how you say it. I like to say it just like that- in all caps- especially when the situation doesn't call for being especially angry or all-capsy. I have found myself in the unfortunate situation of hanging out with a lot of people who didn't watch and memorize every episode of Friends, so I think I end up giving the impression that I have extreme anger issues.

Him's nice. 
Probably my sister and I are the only people on Earth who quote one of the kids from Jon & Kate Plus 8, but we do, and it's hilarious. To us, anyway. Him's not mean. Him's nice.


What do we say? We say no! What do we do? Deny the claim!This is a line from some insurance company commercial from way back in the day. No one except my sister and I even remember it, I'm sure, but now that I work in insurance, I have occasion to say it all the time. And I do. And no one knows what I'm talking about, so it falls flat. Just try explaining to someone that you're quoting a commercial from the 90s. See how that goes over. I've taken to just muttering it to myself whenever I'm working on a claims issue. Deny the claim!

Comments

GeleeneG said…
Oh man, my go-to Joey from Friends quote is "Sup. Sup with the whack playstation sup."

I don't think that's exactly how he said it, but that's how I remember it and it makes me laugh just to think about it. I'm pretty sure I can think of a Friends quote for every situation.
Adriane said…
I love aldergators. And friends.
Anonymous said…
I like to say " I KNOW!" like Monica. And people just think I'm yelling.
Amy Filleman said…
Please disregard Stephanie.
Amy Filleman said…
This comment has been removed by the author.

Popular Posts