Island Time

There are 59 National Parks in this country and I, at the ripe old age of 31, have visited 5 of them. It's kind of a disgrace, if I say so myself, which, obviously, I do. I haven't even seen all the National Parks in my state. If we're honest, I haven't really been to all of them in my city! I mean, I've driven through Saguaro West, but only because that's the way the road goes. I've seen a lot of saguaros in my life though, and I've been to the Grand Canyon eleventy billion times so I should probably get bonus points for that. In any case, this past weekend I brought my number to 5 with a visit to Channel Islands National Park in California.

So basically it's this island covered in gulls. They aren't seagulls, by the way. They're land-based. In case you wondered.
We were on Anacapa Island, the first and smallest in the chain. These are all part of Anacapa. Way off in the background you can see the faint outline of the next island.
There's also a lighthouse. Fun fact- this is the last lighthouse ever constructed on the West Coast. I guess all ships are safe now.
I'm going to give myself bonus points for getting to a park that is only accessible by boat. I think there are bonus points in the National Parks game, and I need them.
It's pretty cool though. I mean, it's no Grand Canyon. And there is a lot of bird poop. But you get to see this:
And this:
And if you're lucky, you get to see this:
And that pretty much makes it worth it, I think.
Plus:
The end.

Okay, not the end. I am looking at these pictures and I don't feel like I'm fully relaying the quantity of birds and poop that inhabit this island.
Can you see them? All those white spots? Birds. Birds everywhere. This was the beginning of mating season so there will be more. Oh, there will be more.
Can you see it? Can you see the bird poop? It is everywhere. They should have named it Anacrapa Island. Ba-dum-tss!

I feel better now.
Wait.
One more.
The end.

Comments

GeleeneG said…
Maybe you should also count how many lighthouses you have been to. Next month you can add one more.

Popular Posts