Let's Take A Vote.

You know what's hard?

Being an informed voter. It's true. I'm trying to vote and it's very, very complicated. Say you have these two candidates. And you're like, I will research what these candidates stand for! Yes! I am empowered! So you go to the internet and you google and you find supposedly unbiased websites and you read and you learn. And you're like, alright. Candidate 1 believes in this, this, and this. Candidate 2 believes in that, that, and that. Great. I've totally got this.

So now you know what they believe, but...so what? What does it mean? How does it fit into the grand scheme of not running our city/state/country straight into the ground? So then you are like, ok, I will research what this all means! What are the pros and cons of the government paying for this or not paying for that? And then you find one article that says THE GOVERNMENT SHOULD BUY THIS, AND HERE'S WHY! And then you find another article that says THE GOVERNMENT SHOULD NEVER BUY THAT, AND HERE'S WHY!

And it's all very believable! Seriously dudes. You know that saying, you've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything? I'll fall for anything! Give me a well-written article on any point of view and I'll be nodding along, like oh, yeah, that totally makes sense!

And then you're like, eh, whatever. It's only one person. It's not as if one person believing one thing means that all they believe in will come to pass. And then you start thinking about the balance of power. And then you're like, no one cares about anything! It's all politics!

And then you start thinking about that Coldplay song, Politik, and how it's not really that great of a song, even though it's on a pretty great album.

And that gets you thinking about the other songs on that album. Like track #10, which is a really awesome song. So then you go to Youtube to watch the video of it. And that reminds you of other awesome Coldplay songs, so you look them up too, and then you realize you've spent 45 minutes watching music videos online and haven't filled in even one bubble on your mail in ballot.

And then you send off panicked emails to your more politically-minded friends saying crazy things like "I CAN'T DO THIS! TOO MUCH PRESSURE! TELL ME ALL THE ANSWERS!" like it's some kind of test. And then you find yourself in the corner, rocking in your chair, humming Coldplay songs to yourself and weeping.

Not that this happened to me. I'm just saying.

Comments

GeleeneG said…
Did you watch Yellow? Because even though that song is kind of non-sensical, I do love it.
Erin said…
Well, hypothetically if that had happened to me I would've definitely watched Yellow. It's my favorite Coldplay song.

Popular Posts