In the Desert

My friend and I decided to go photograph lightning. This is a thing I have wanted to try for quite some time so when he suggested it, I was psyched. He also suggested that we go to the top of a hill to do so. It's a 1.5 mile hike up this hill. Meh. Not his best idea.

Anyway. This conversation happened:
Me: I forgot my flashlight in the car. We'll have to watch for snakes.
Him: Have you ever seen a snake here?
Me: No.
Him: There's one right there!

And there really was. I had my camera but for some reason I did not take a picture of the snake, so I have rendered it here for you in Microsoft Paint:
 
Those people in the drawing were coming down the hill. My friend said to them "Watch out, there's a snake!" But they just kept coming. He was all, "Snake!" So then they stopped and shined their lights on the snake. We all waited for the snake to cross the path so we could continue up the hill.

So we went and went and went and finally like 40 years later we made it to the top of the hill. I think there should be a phrase, "Like trying to photograph lightning" which means that something is nearly impossible, because that is what it felt like to me. It was not a particularly active lightning night, but when you trek 1.5 miles uphill carrying your camera equipment, you take the photos. Or try, anyway.

I took 42 pictures and none of them are really of lightning. See here:

Here is my best shot. I had to enhance it a little bit:

Isn't that amazing? Just fantastic. Lightning over the desert, so beautiful.
Here's my actual best shot.
It's more of a hint of lightning. Ah well. Better luck next time, maybe.

And here's a picture of a dinosaur I took because I felt like it.
Happy Monday!

Comments

GeleeneG said…
Those pictures are actually really nice and I would like to own one. Not the fake lightening one though. And not the dinosaur one.

Popular Posts