What is it?

Dudes! I totally forgot to tell you about this. So this past weekend my friend and I took a little journey to Willcox for some grape stomping and wine tasting at a vineyard down there. Fun was had, shenanigans ensued, blah blah blah. You know. But what I wanted to tell you was this: On the way there, we stopped at- wait for it....

THE THING? MYSTERY OF THE DESERT!

I KNOW! Can you even believe the awesomeness of that? I'm sure some of you have probably seen THE THING? but some of you probably have only seen the signs and wondered about it. And now I have beheld (beholden?) with my own eyes, THE THING?.

Anyway I'm not telling you what it is because that would ruin it, but basically it was awesome. Just kidding, it wasn't awesome. Unless you mean awesomely bad. It was that. But, you know. It was $1. Totally worth it. Almost. Pretty much. I kind of recommend it. Actually, maybe it's better if you continue driving past, never stopping but always wanting to. Then you can keep the magic alive. Because I have to say, now that I know what THE THING? is, after all these years of seeing those signs, I think maybe my world is just a little bit darker. Yeah it is. Almost definitely. It was a lot better in my mind.

Wow, that was the worst review of a tourist trap, like, ever. I did get a cool magnet. It cost approximately 300% more than actually seeing the thing, which is funny because it is also approximately 300% more rad. Math, dudes.

Comments

Anonymous said…
So what is it? I want to know.
AprilJ said…
I stopped at The Thing the first time I drove myself to Duncan in college.. I had asked my parents any number of times to see it when we would drive to Grams. So naturally, I was horribly disappointed to see what it actually was. Oh, and it only cost me a quarter so the price has quadrupled in the last few (clearing throat) years. Meanwhile, those fine folks at Stucky's have made a lot of money over the years fooling honest, hard-working folk.
Adriane said…
You can google the thing and find illegal pictures of what's inside. I, of course would never do that.
AprilJ said…
Check this out.. it's almost like going there.

www.redtongue.com/500milesfrom500miles/500page16.html
Erin said…
Hahaha, that is EXACTLY what it is like! Except that the giant sign over the actual THING is gone, so you just kind of have to assume that's THE THING and not just another THING. Too funny.
Callie said…
Those Stucky's people got what was coming to them. I think the one in between Tucson and Duncan burnt down. Or maybe just closed down. Either way, not in operation any more.

I can't believe The Thing was named "Worst Tourist Attraction in America." .... Well, yes I can.... Still so funny!

Popular Posts