Since everyone else is posting about their holiday weekends, I will also jump on the 4th of July bandwagon.

I ended up getting Friday off at the last minute, so I took advantage of a free day to...get new tires on my car! Hurrah! $200 later I have 2 new tires and my car is riding smooth. Not a fun thing to do on your day off, but I guess I'm glad that it's taken care of. After that...some other stuff must've happened but I can't think of what.

Cherries are on sale at a few stores for 99 cents a pound so on Saturday I decided to make a cherry pie. I found a cherry pitter on the clearance table at Macys and took it as a sign that it was meant to be. The cherry pitter is totally cool- totally worth it. The cherry pie...eh. I think I just picked a bad recipe- I picked one that used flour as a thickening agent because I didn't want to go to the store for tapioca, which is what the rest of the recipes called for. I don't know if it's because I was using fresh cherries or just because flour really isn't that great at thickening but the pie was a total watery disaster. It looked really pretty though. I even made a lattice top. Ah well, live and learn. It still tasted good.

Saturday night we went to dinner at the Cup Cafe, which is in the Hotel Congress. It's totally over-priced but tasty food and downtown is always good for watching the people (freaks) of Tucson. After dinner we went to Tony's office, which is on the 19th floor of a highrise building downtown, to watch the fireworks. The view was awesome and the room was slightly air-conditioned. It was definitely better than hanging out in a parking lot with 9,000 other people who play their bad music really loudly and let their kids set off illegal fireworks 3 feet in front of your car.

Yesterday we went and saw Public Enemies, which was good and had a lot of shooting and blood and shooting and bleeding bullet wounds and things of that nature. If you like shooting and blood I would definitely recommend it.

So, that was my weekend. 4 day week last week, 4 day week this week, then I'm heading out on the 22-hour drive to Portland. Should be an adventure.

Comments

Adriane said…
I'm real glad that you just spent all that money on my new car :)
GeleeneG said…
Was Hotel Congress still doing all their special John Dillinger stuff or whatever?
Erin said…
No, I think that's in February or something. The Hotel Congress stuff was in the movie but I think it was an abbreviated version, and it didn't look like it was really filmed there.
Filleman Family said…
haha Adriane - very funny. Why are you going to Portland?

Popular Posts