I wish NAU had some kind of catchy phrase like "Bear Down!" or something like that, because if it did, that is what I would have called this blog post, because it's going to be about NAU homecoming. "You Got Jacked!" or "Kick Ax!", while clever, aren't really universally known as representing NAU. Probably because they don't. Represent. Yeah. So.

This past weekend was NAU Homecoming. I went because I bleed blue and gold. Oh, wait, no, I don't. I went because I had my mom's car and needed to exchange it for my new and improved and much less stressful car. Aaaaaaaaaanyway, it also happened to be homecoming weekend and so it worked out that it was a whole family deal and we went to Flagstaff for the football game. And for once, at a football game, I actually had fun, if you can believe that. I had this little foam ax that I used to chop chop chop along with the Jaws music, and I could also chop people on the head and face with it. Chopping people in the head and face is always a good time.

I was also able to share my new football knowledge with Amy and Adriane. They already know a lot about football, but I got to talk about important sports things with them, such as:
- 2 point conversion
- interception
- pass incomplete
- when the guy puts his knee down in the end zone
- media time outs, and the guy in the red hat. (Adriane and Amy did not know about this part, so I got to teach them something new).

My favorite part of the football game was when NAU would get a first down and then the announcer guy would go, "Move those chains, 'cause that's another Lumberjack FIRST DOWN!!!" and everyone would yell "FIRST DOWN!!!" along with him and it was awesome. I think that is because Lumberjack is probably the coolest mascot ever. Nothing can top a Lumberjack, because a Lumberjack has an ax and can chop any opponent to bits. Except maybe if the opponent has a gun, or a tank or something like that. But most mascots don't have that kind of weaponry.

My other favorite part was when some girls were selling old sports uniforms, like from the 70s, in the lobby for $5 each. I scored an amazing shiny basketball warm-up jacket, a rad cross country jersey, and the pièce de résistance, a pair of bright yellow mesh basketball shorts with a 1-inch inseam and a 24-inch rise. Words cannot describe these shorts. Pictures probably could, but I'm not brave enough to put that on the internet.

NAU won (yay, sports!) and that was pretty much the end of the homecoming festivities. Here are some pictures of NAU-ish things, but not my new outfit. There are no pictures of that.

This is a little tarantula I almost stepped on in Camp Verde. It looks really big and gross in this picture, but it was a baby, so it was just little and gross.


















Hayden even wore his NAU-colored
cowboy shirt for the occasion.








































This is dome Louie. He lives in the end zone with those logging wheels. His brother lives outside. When I was a kid I thought Dome Louie was smaller than Outside Louie, but they are really the same.

Comments

Erin said…
I can't get my captions to line up with my pictures. Grr.

Popular Posts