Flashback Friday #4

Today's story on Flashback Friday is somewhat unique and calls for a different kind of introduction.

Nah, not really, I've just had that line from Tower of Terror stuck in my head so I thought I'd try using it here and see how it went.



This was taken in our front yard in Flagstaff, I'm guessing around 1985 or so. This might have been before Geleene was in kindergarten, based on the costume. I'm not really sure. In those days, little girls were allowed to dress like witches and go trick-or-treating door to door, and all you had to worry about was a razor blade in your apple or maybe straight pins in your candy. Ah, to live in simpler times. I have vague memories of Halloween in Flagstaff. My dad always did the pumpkin carving- Geleene and I would decide on the shape of the eyes, mouth, etc. and he'd carve it out. One time we went trick-or-treating at the mall and when we got home someone had taken our jack-o-lantern and smashed it in the street in front of our house. That was kind of traumatic, but I'm over it now.

It's pictures like this that remind me of the reasons that I need to learn to sew. My mom made these costumes, and every other costume we ever wore as kids. I fear that my future children will be the ones in those awful store-bought plastic character tunics and creepy vacant-eyed masks, sadly crinkling from house to house. (I can only imagine that plastic tunics are very crinkly.)I vow to learn to sew before it comes to that.

I will close today's post with a special Halloween poem that I wrote. If you didn't know, I'm a published poet. I wrote this with my friend Sharon in 1st Grade.

The Old Ghost

There was an old ghost
Who lived by a tree
And when the moon came out
He would shout with glee
And when it was morning
He went back to his tree
And then it was quiet
As quiet as can be.
Wooooooo- Boo!

Happy Halloween!

Comments

Popular Posts