Flashback Friday #3



The back of this picture says "The Secret Place, Labor Day 1985". If my calculations are correct, that means I'm 4 here, Amy is 3, Geleene is 5, and the others are...older. Heh. Mark is probably like 10 and April...12? I'm not sure. Anyway. Our family used to go camping in (at?) Hannagan Meadow every year, and that's where this was taken. Now, I was 4, so this was a long time ago, but I think my Gram Boyd probably took this picture. She would take the grandkids into the secret place and then- well, I can't remember but I suspect she probably told us stories. She would sit on a log or a bucket or something and we'd sit on the log you see in this picture, and we'd do whatever it was we did in there. One time she tipped over and fell off her seat and it was the funniest thing I'd ever seen. There's a picture of that, I think, but I don't have it.

Pictures like this remind me of how much fun we had when we were kids- getting together with the family was literally the most exciting thing that we could do. I remember one time we arrived at the campground and there was an arrow lodged in one of the trees. My uncle Brad told us that an Indian had shot it in there, and for the rest of the trip I was afraid that Indians were lurking in the woods, ready to shoot us with arrows. Hahaha, oh, good times, scaring little children. As it turns out, Brad had just stuck the arrow in the tree himself. At least I think that's what happened...

Comments

AprilJ said…
For many reasons, I still hate that picture 20+ years later... I had camping hair (no curling iron)... a FUGLY sweatshirt and plaid pants. I don't believe I need to flashback to the secret place again. April Johnson, over and out.
Erin said…
It was the 80s. No one is judging you.
Filleman Family said…
this is by far the BEST flashback yet! picture = hilarious and the story is sweet. You guys should have a book of memories like that made for you gram for Christmas . . sweet little stories like that that you still remember so many years later - she would love it :)
Erin said…
That's a good idea...hmmm...wheels are turning.

I'm addicted to dot dot dots today, clearly.
Filleman Family said…
Erin Raye not my cousin or my friend.

Mark
Erin said…
Mark- that's not how it goes. Your version doesn't even rhyme. Additionally, that's not how my middle name is spelled. Insult FAIL.

Popular Posts