Am I the only one that, as Valentine's Day rolls around, starts thinking that maybe, maybe this year will be the year that Mr. Awesome Guy is going to choose to confess his undying love for me?

Just me, then?

Seriously, every year, probably since, like, elementary school, when I'd hope that one of those obligatory little cards would be signed by a secret admirer, I've had this silly thought lurking deep in the recesses of my mind. Well, maybe not every year. There were a few years in there where I was in a relationship, and in those years I was probably just hoping the boy would make some sort of effort- LOOK, COWORKER, I CANNOT FOCUS ON WRITING MY BLOG WHEN YOU'RE CRUNCHING WHEAT THIN CHIPS LIKE IT'S GOING OUT OF STYLE!!!!!

Ahem.

Sorry about that. If you haven't noticed, I lack focus. I'm working on that.

So, what was I saying?

Oh, yes. Valentine's Day. Secret admirers. Loooooooooove.

There is a long list of reasons that this is a ridiculous hope. Mainly that most guys aren't that thoughtful or romantic. (No offense, most guys reading this blog, but in my experience, it's true.) And that Valentine's Day would probably be a cliche time to make confessions of love. And that probably no one is secretly in love with me. And that in general, people probably do not go around secretly being in love with people, and then actually telling that person. Maybe if life was a romantic comedy, but sadly, my life isn't. Anyway, yeah, it just doesn't happen. And I know that. I'm probably pretty realistic when considering the chances of this confession ever actually taking place. But there's still that teensy tiny little part of my brain that's like, hey, you never know. It could happen. And it would be sooooooooo cute. Little hearts would probably explode out of my head or something.

Meanwhile, I'll just eat some candy hearts, and keep my phone lines open. You know. Just in case...

Comments

Anonymous said…
Okay, I DIDN'T think that, but now you've planted the idea. I'm totes having a secret admirer this year!
Amy Filleman said…
You're totally not the only one. I don't wish for a secret admirer card, I wish for a man to stand outside my window with a boom box over his head that is playing, "In Your Eyes" by Peter Gabriel. I know that it is sick. We all want someone to put forth the effort to sweep us off our feet. I also totally agree that most guys are totally un-romantic. Boo!!

Also< when you yelled for your coworker to chew silently, I laughed out loud. Maybe send them an anonymous card to chew like they have a secret.

Popular Posts