5 Weird Things I'm Afraid Of...

1. Trains. For no good reason. Well, it's not no good reason- obviously a train could kill you. But I am mostly afraid of driving over the tracks at night, looking over, and seeing the headlight (do trains have headlights?) bearing down on me. I solve this by trying not to look down the tracks when I cross them. This way if a train ever does get me, I won't see it coming.

2. Biscuits in a can. I know I'm not alone in this, but I cannot stand opening those cans of biscuits. Of course, sometimes you have to face your fears, so I'll peel the paper off everrrrrr so slowly until...nothing happens. Crap. So then the paper is off and the biscuits aren't out and you have to puncture the can- horror of horrors! Usually here I just take the can and bang it on the corner of the counter and hope that I don't lose an eye or anything in the process. Oh, biscuits in a can, I love you and hate you so much.

3. Lighting the grill. I've nearly gotten over the fear of being blown to pieces every time I click that ignition button, but there is still a little part of me that wants to run and duck for cover every time I attempt to start the grill. The thing about this is that I've never actually had any issues with grill lighting- no huge flames, no explosions, nothing even remotely dramatic. But something bad could happen, I just know it.

4. Smelling bad things. This is mainly an issue when I'm faced with milk that is past the sell-by date but maybe not too old to drink. I know I should just take a big whiff and figure it out, but ugh, I just cannot do it. Because what if it IS spoiled, and then I smell it? The result of this is that I end up throwing out anything of questionable freshness. A waste of money, sure, but at least I avoid being scarred permanently from smelling something rotten.

5. Mechanical pencils that are out of lead. Oh, this is the worst. It's OK if the pencil is just lying around, being out of lead, but if I try to write with one that doesn't have the lead clicked out, and then the little metal tip scratches on the paper- ahhhhhhhh. I am not exaggerating when I tell you that it makes me shiver just thinking about that feeling, that sound. Seriously, it makes me want to cry a little bit. Every now and then I will grab a pencil and almost write with it before realizing the lead isn't ready, and just the realization that I almost did it is enough to make me a little shaky. That awful scratchy scraping noise is the. worst.

(See how I ended my title with a preposition? I just want to say that I know I did it, but I couldn't see how not to do it, without writing something weird like 'Weird things of which I am afraid', which is stupid- no one talks like that. So instead I just added the ever-popular ... and hopes for the best. I wanted to point that out, lest you think that the grammar lessons of previous posts made no impact on me at all.)

Comments

Filleman Family said…
April should be so proud! Glad to see it wasn't falling on deaf ears :) haha
So i am totally afraid of lighting the grill too. If I am in a position where I can't ask someone else to do it for me, I stand as far away as possible while still being able to reach the ignite button and turn my face away from the grill. I mean, if you are going to be scarred for life - better the back of my head than my face right? Thx for entertaining me during naptime - see you this w/e??
Erin said…
Yeah I'm coming up tomorrow and will be there through at least Saturday. See you then!
AprilJ said…
Who knew I was any kind of grammar expert... I'm afraid of scorpions but that's not really random.
GeleeneG said…
I refuse to be in a bathroom that is totally dark. Leftover fears of Bloody Mary, I think.
Adriane said…
I am terrified of bloody mary. Also, I still run and jump onto my bed if I am getting into it really late and its completely dark in my room.
Tracey said…
I'm scared of the biscuits in a can too. I always make Kayla open them.

Also, I'm scared of running over the vaccuum cord and sucking it up and electrocuting myseld.

Popular Posts