Things I should know, but don't.

*I am reposting this because I wrote it last week but wanted to post it yesterday but apparently it doesn't work that way and it's not showing up at the top of my blog and that's just wrong, all wrong. So it's here twice. I think. Apparently we can add one more thing to the list of stuff I don't know how to do- work my blog. *

1. How to lace shoes. Now, lest that sound completely ridiculous- I can lace a pair of shoes. But I think I missed the day in school where they actually taught you how to do it, so I always just hope that one shoe will come pre-laced and then I study that shoe and copy it on the other one. Back when the cool kids had all sorts of fancy lacing designs, I was just lucky if mine matched. Now I just avoid shoes with laces and it's not really an issue.

2. How to use apostrophes. I have a pretty good grasp on this one, too, but I really do think I was absent when the rest of the class learned when you use an apostrophe after a word, like this: Jones'. Like, I think you might say, the Jones' house, but I also thing you might say kids' bicycle, because kid's bicycle = kid is bicycle = wrong. Right? See? I don't know. But at least I know I don't know and I don't go sticking apostrophes all willy-nilly into sentences just to cover myself.

3. Anything about wars past WW2. My history-loving mother and sister are ashamed to hear me say it, I'm sure, but the furthest I ever got in any history class in my entire 17 years of education was WW2. I could probably really benefit from a class on US History: 1940-Present. Vietnam? Korea? What's that, you say?

4. Left from Right. Again, ok, I know left from right. Obviously. But it doesn't just come to me naturally. If someone says make a left, I have to really think about it. And by think about it, I mean I have to look at my hands and make an L with my pointer finger and thumb just to check myself. I can't blame the education system for this- it's all me. I'll own it.

5. How to work my DVD player. I have this DVD player that is also a VCR and the remote, you guys, the remote for this thing has approximately 97 buttons on it. I don't know what all these buttons are for. There's a button that says Menu and another one that says Top Menu. There is a Play button, but also a forward arrow that will make it play. Sometimes you have to push the DVD button to make anything work, but sometimes it works on its own. It is terribly complicated and trying to figure it all out makes me tired. So I just push the buttons on the DVD player and hope for the best.

So, dear readers, tell me: What things could you use a little further education on?

Hahaha, I kid, I kid.

Comments

AprilJ said…
The appropriate use and installation of tire chains.. *sigh*

The appropriate use and effectiveness of SAD lights

Planning better for Christmas as I slack every year and scramble near the end.
Filleman Family said…
I'm going to go with planning better in general - I have such aspirations for being really structured and never having to race to or through anything because I have not procrastinated to the last possible minute . . . I keep saying "when the kids are in school" but I'm sure there will be a new reason that I can't get it together at that point!

p.s. you use apostrophe for two purposes: combining two words (can not = can't) and also to show possession. If it is singular possession it goes before the 's' and plural possessive goes after the 's' (kid's bike = one child's bike or kids' bikes = multiple children's bikes. :)
Filleman Family said…
p.p.s. meant to tell you that I had a great time making that book - nice to chat (in between the screaming children of course) can't wait to see you in CV for Christmas! should be fun!
Tracey said…
I would like to learn how to place a comment on your blog in less than 30 minutes.

Popular Posts