Things Rich People Like

I have a lot to do today. A lot. So it makes sense to not do any of it and come here instead, to discuss something that's been troubling me.

The other day at lunch I was looking at this catalog that we got. I came across this item:
In case you can't tell what that is, it's a monkey orchestra. A porcelain monkey orchestra. And I was like, BJ! I found what I am getting you for Christmas! Because really, what is a more ridiculous and funny gift than a monkey orchestra?

And then I saw the price. $1750. For one monkey. Technically, $1750 for the cheapest monkey- the triangle player. Ranging up to $2750 for the conductor. So to own this entire monkey orchestra, you'd be looking at around $14,000.

For porcelain monkeys.
Playing instruments.

What?

Why?

No, but really. Why?

Warren Buffett, would you spend $14,000 on a monkey orchestra? I think not.

I'm almost certain that for $14,000 you could buy a plane ticket to India, obtain actual live monkeys, teach them to play instruments, dress them in little outfits and go on tour as the one-and-only monkey orchestra. You'd almost definitely get rich off of this scheme.

Not so with the porcelain monkeys. With the porcelain monkeys, you have to spend $14,000 to get them. Plus shipping. Then they just sit around, not actually playing music. Then your kid breaks one and you're like, That was a $2000 porcelain trumpeting monkey! What is wrong with you? THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS!!!

I might not be cut out for richness.

Another thing I guess rich people like is a nice footstool. Shaped like an animal.

Here is an assortment that I gathered from their website. It's worth noting that these footstools cost less than a single monkey, so even though they look pretty luxurious and fancy, they're actually quite affordable. I think when you're rich you probably like to come home after a hard days work, relax with your feet up on your leather lion, and admire your porcelain monkey orchestra. What a life.

I guess that's all I have to say about that. I hope one day I'm rich though because I really want that bear. It would look great in my living room.

Comments

Amy Filleman said…
Hahahaha. That's utterly ridiculous. I actually can' fathom why they would be that expensive. Really, are they filled with solid gold? Do they grant wishes? Are they the cure for cancer? I really would like an explanation on this topic.
AprilJ said…
The most frightening thing is that there is a market for that crap. Although, it did make me laugh out loud thinking about spending $14K to go to India and train monkeys to play in an orchestra.
AprilJ said…
BTW, is the triangle player dressed up like Ben Franklin?
GeleeneG said…
Does the conductor monkey come with the music stand or is that an extra $2000?

Also, are these life size monkeys?
Erin said…
I'm glad you asked. The music stand is sold separately for the low, low price of $448. And you obviously need it to complete the orchestra. Because otherwise it wouldn't be very realistic.

Popular Posts