It was almost a crisis, but then it wasn't.

Yesterday I went online to check on the status of my plane ticket to Europe. Just for kicks. Just to see if it still existed. So you can imagine my surprise when, next to ticket status on the US Airways website it said CANCELLED.

Um.

I'm sorry.

What?

Definitely not supposed to be cancelled.

I got on the phone with US Airways. "Yes," they said, "We can see that you called on March 23 and cancelled it."
"No." I said. "No. I called for a seat assignment. I did not call to cancel the ticket." I tried very hard to remain calm. I'm not the kind of person that yells, especially not at some poor sap in a call center. But seriously. The women told me somewhat snottily that she didn't know if she could get it back the way I had it for the same fare. And she warned me that if I cancelled again I'd have to pay $250 to reinstate it, plus any difference in the fare. Fantastic, US Airways, (And by Fantasic, I mean, NOT FANTASTIC, US Airways, in case you have Google Alerts) that would be fair if I'd ever cancelled the ticket. You cancelled the ticket. I just wanted a seat assignment. Which I have written down, as proof that I called for a purpose on that fateful March 23. As she was going through assigning me and my cousin side by side seats, she was all, "You don't have any seat assignments for the flight from Athens." Yeah, lady, I know! That was why I called you in the first place! For a seat assignment! And some genius over there interpreted that as "Cancel the ticket"! And now I'm having a mild heart attack because I have no ticket to Europe and a non-refundable trip booked and by the way, if you cancelled my ticket, I believe you owe me $1400!

I didn't say any of that though. I was nice. She fixed it. I'm still going to Europe. Even though US Airways is clearly stupid and I hate them and if they care about service they will come to my blog and apologize and upgrade me to first class at no charge. Just sayin'.

Then when I got home from work, what was waiting in my mailbox but a little notice from the US District Court. Jury duty, our nation's favorite pastime! No big deal. Except that I'm on call for the first week of my trip. Oh, Universe, what are you doing to me? I filled out the form, and I'm fairly certain I'll be excused or at least get a deferral, so all should be well. And if it's not, well, I might have to go on the run from the law, because, dudes. Non. Re. Fund. Able. This guy is not made of money. This guy is going to Europe.

Guess I should've paid attention to that not-an-omen dead bird.

Anyway then I went and saw the Goo Goo Dolls and now all is right with the world.

Comments

GeleeneG said…
You can reschedule jury duty for a preplanned vacation, no prob.

Also, I'm pretty sure that US Airways is the airline that stranded me in Philly for 14 hours or something for no good reason on the way home from Munich. Then, to add insult to injury, when I finally arrived home my luggage was not there. It had been sent on the continuing flight to Miami or something. HATE.
Amy Filleman said…
Just reading this gave me anxiety. Ughh, those people are stupid!!! I just went on and checked my ticket to make sure I still have one, and i do. thank you God! 6 weeks from today we leave!! Yay!
AprilJ said…
Today, ironically enough, there was a study out that said that USWorst Airlines was rated at the very bottom of the list in customer satisfaction. I'm sure that is not surprising to you at all. I HATE USAIR!!! They super suck.

Popular Posts