This has been the longest day at the end of the longest week I've had in, well, the longest time. I have done all my work. I have labeled. I have filed. I have followed up. I have read the entire internet, then read it again for good measure. Do you get it, dudes? I am Bored. With a capital B. In my journey through the wilds of the internets, I found some blogs where people are writing letters to their 16 year old selves. So. I'm gonna copy. And maybe when I'm done it will be time to go home.

Dear 16 year old self,

Hang in there. It's going to get better, I promise. Don't worry about high school not living up to those teen magazine ideals- as it turns out, it's not really very important in the long run. Or the short run. As soon as you get out of CV, you can be anyone you want to be. So get ready for that. Stop worrying about what people think. It's hard- almost impossible- but it'll serve you well to start working on it now.

Keep in touch with your friends. It's easy to move on but you'll feel better if you keep that connection with your youth. And be nice to your sisters. They get better with age.

Don't be afraid to try new things. Get out of your comfort zone, even if it's only to impress other people. Eventually you'll do it for you, but until then, just do it.

Study abroad. You're not going to get that opportunity again, yo, so do it. Don't get bogged down with all the 'what if's'. Seize the moment! Dad will pay.

Get a job. It doesn't matter if you need a job- you need the experience. Trust me, it'll make things much easier later on if you work during college.

Study a little bit harder in Microeconomics. It's really boring, but if you get an A in that class, you'll graduate with a 4.0 and they'll probably put a gold star on your degree or something. No one in the real world cares about that, but it'll make you feel good.

In a few years you're going to go to Europe, and you're going to have the opportunity to get this adorable little flask at the Swarovski museum. You're going to want to buy that. Don't leave it behind or it will continue to haunt you.

Take a lot of chances. Guard your heart, but not at the expense of living. Don't let your relationship with God fall to the wayside. You're going to need Him. A lot. Things are going to be tough, and sad, but also happy and funny and amazing. You're going to suffer losses, you're going to gain- it's going to be really, really good! So be excited. Be careful. Take lots of pictures. Do what you love. Have a good time!

Sincerely,

Your 28 year old self.


Hmm. Still not time to leave. Darn.

Comments

Amy Filleman said…
Those damn little flasks!! Why did nt we get those?? They were only like % euro, super cute, and for the amount of irritation it has caused us over the last 6 years for leaving them behind, almost priceless in the long run.
Amy Filleman said…
Clearly that post should read, "why did we not get them?? They were only like 5 euro...." Apparently I cant type.

Popular Posts