Where the Wild Things Are

Living in Tucson, it is not that unusual to see random wild animals running through what is a fairly urban, or at least suburban, area. I see coyotes all the time and sometimes javelinas or jackrabbits or tarantulas or snakes or whatever. You know. Desert animals. Earlier today I was chillaxin' on my couch, feeling somewhat sickly and being sad that I was missing a Valentine's dinner with friends but not that sad about missing a sock hop dance thing, I looked up and caught a glimpse of something white in my front yard. Wow, would you look at my run-on sentences? I may be the champion of run-on sentences. CHAMPION!!!! WOO-HOO!!!

I digress. So I saw this white thing and went to the window to investigate and what was hopping around my yard but this little (big) guy:

 
That is no jackrabbit. That's more like, I don't know, a pet rabbit. In my yard. So of course I did what any logical person would do and I went out to try and capture him.
I failed. He was a fast little hopper, and I wasn't too sure that he wouldn't go all crazy and chomp my fingers off or something if I did catch him. So I didn't try that hard. I was like, "Come here, bunny" and he didn't come here and I didn't get him. I would have tried luring him with a vegetable but I don't have any and I wasn't sure if rabbits like to eat pizza.

My cat was not really a fan of the bunny. She was making a very unattractive groaning sound that translated roughly into something like, "I will claw your eyes out and leave your entrails on the welcome mat." Luckily for that bunny, my cat can't leave the house.


Plotting to murder the bunny.

A blurry, spy-like close-up.
Eventually I grew tired of watching that rabbit hop around eating weeds or whatever it was doing out there and went back to my busy schedule of watching "True Life: I'm At A Crossroads in My Relationship" on MTV. A while later a car pulled up, a girl hopped out, dove into the bushes with a coat, and came out, presumably with the rabbit wrapped in the coat. Then she left. Weird.

And that is the true story of how I spent my Valentine's/Statehood Day.

Comments

Filleman Family said…
cat looking out the window made me laugh - I can hardly wait to show it to your cousin who will most definitely think that is hilarious - he loves a "pissed off cat" type photo - or any cat photo probably for that matter!
GeleeneG said…
You wouldn't want a rabbit anyway. I think they make terrible pets. Note to all parents of young children: Do not let your kids convince you to get a rabbit. They are like evil hell hounds disguised as pure cuteness, sent from Satan to chew all of your electrical cords and leave tiny little poop pellets all over your house. Sometimes they let you hold them and pet them and then they reward you by peeing/pooping on you.

Also, I used to see javelina at my old job in Tucson. Once I even saw some kind of wildcat. It was so awesome. I wish I had been able to get a picture of it. It was about 10 feet away from me.
AprilJ said…
Are you sure it wasn't the fabled jackalope? Just wondering....
Callie said…
I used to see jackelope all the time in Duncan. No fable. Real life, baby.

Popular Posts