I am thinking of dyeing my hair brown. Something about the new year, and wanting to change things for the better, and turning over a new leaf, or a new page, or whatever it is that people turn over these days. But I've never dyed my hair before. (Well, once my sister gave me highlights, but highlights on blondish hair are kind of invisible, as it turns out.) And I am paranoid. So today I have for you a list of reasons why I am hesitant to take this step:

1. It might look awful. And then I will be stuck with awful hair until it can wash out or grow out or I lose my mind and shave it all off, which comes with its own set of problems. On the other hand, my hair is semi-awful most days anyway, so what have I got to lose?

2. I would have to show up at work, etc. with obviously different hair. I am not a fan of attention. I do not seek attention, and the thought of one day being blondish and the next day...not so much? Um, yeah. Kind of not my thing. But maybe it could be?

3. It would grow out, and I would either have to keep up with the dyeing or live with blondish roots and not blondish ends. And that is trashy, and gross. But would I keep it up? And could I do it myself? These are things I am unsure about.

4. I've never done it before. Why start now? I could wear my virgin hair as a sort of badge of honor- no fake-ness here, just 100% real blondish innocent hair. As if anyone cares about that.

5. What if blondes really do have more fun, and then I go and dye it brown and all the fun ends? I mean, I'm not even having that much fun as it is- if all the fun went away that would be a really sad situation.

6. My mom wouldn't like it.

So there they are, the reasons holding me back from being the brunette that maybe I was always intended to be. Oh, if only there were such a thing as temporary hair dye, huh? Perhaps this year I should learn to be more impulsive, and then, instead of sitting around thinking of reasons why I should not dye my hair, I'd be living the crazy brown-haired life. Ha.

Maybe next year.

Comments

AprilJ said…
Forget brown.. go red. My friend up here went from blonde to red and it looks so good! Besides, it's believeable given Adriane's hair. And I'd say, don't do it yourself, pay someone else to do it the first few times :) Obviously, I feel that virgin hair is overrated but that's because I have brown hair, a nice mousey brown I'm guessing underneath the dye. No hair-dyeing shame!
Amy Filleman said…
I think that you would look AWESOME as a brownie!! DO IT!! We'll do it together! Im having my hair dyed brown again next week:) Maybe blonde highlights if i get there and need a change.
Filleman Family said…
You could always put in a bunch of low lights - brown and red would be cute - (basically brown highlights) to break yourself into the idea. I would definitely have someone do it for you the first time. And for the record - brunettes have more fun anyway :)

Popular Posts