Things I Learned in School That I Actually Use

Remember when you were in high school calculus and you were doing some calculus-y thing and it was hard and you were all, "When am I ever going to use this in the real world?" in that whine-y, self-righteous teenager way? Mm-hmm, me too. So today I am going to attempt to compose a list of things I learned in school that I do actually use on a regular or even semi-regular basis.

1. Algebra. I know, right? But for real, I am constantly making up little equations like x = wp * 413.56 and stuff like that. I know it seems a little crazy but I do it all the time. So, I guess, hooray for Algebra. Not a total waste of time.

2. Hospital corners. Who learns that in school? Well, me, I guess. And other hospitality majors. And every time I have to make a bed, I make nice neat corners, and I'm like, "Thanks, Mom and Dad, for financing my college education so that I could learn to make a bed properly." They are so proud.

3. Beer pairing. This doesn't come in handy very often because most people who drink beer aren't really interested in which brew would best compliment their prime rib (maybe a nice nut brown ale) but if you are interested, I can help.

Aaaand that's all I can come up with. I'm not sure what that says about me as a person or the educational system in this country, but maybe there is someone reading this who is in school and hates it and thinks that none of it will ever be of any use. And to that person I'd just like to say, hang in there, because clearly some of this is important.

Comments

Callie said…
I love it when I realize I actually use things I learned in school. Every time I drive past the airport, I remember that a 747 has 4 Rolls Royce engines... Well I guess that's not using what I learned in school...just remembering.
GeleeneG said…
I use algebra somewhat frequently. I'm not sure what else.

Popular Posts