The One Where I Find My Calling

It turns out that I have a strange fascination with silhouette cutting.

Silhouettes. You know, like you get at Disneyland? Where you sit on a little chair and the lady snip-snip-snips your profile out of a piece of black paper and voila- instant artwork? I think you are familiar with the concept.

Lest you think this is some crazy whim, let me assure you that it is not.

In May of 2006, my parents and I traveled to Virginia to see my older sister Geleene finish graduate school. On that trip we visited Monticello, the estate of Thomas "He's No Ben Franklin" Jefferson. The best part of Monticello, as is often the case with museums and historical sites, was the gift shop. There, amongst the confederate flags and toy cannons, was a little silhouette cutting kit. "Learn to cut silhouettes?" I thought to myself, "Yes, please!" For whatever reason, I did not buy the kit on that fateful day, and off I went with my tri-cornered hat and replica musket. But that silhouette kit never really left my mind.

Cut to as recently as this past November. Bored at work, I found myself Google-ing silhouette artists and reading up on the craft. I was hoping for an online tutorial but didn't really see anything. Then probably the phone rang and I had to answer because a certain co-worker would not, and the search was halted.

Last Thursday I was in Phoenix to celebrate the new year (Read: go shopping) with my aunt, cousins and sister. We made a mid-afternoon trip to Barnes and Noble to look for deals on calendars, but what did I find instead? You guessed it- a silhouette kit. There, in the bargain section, 50% off- an instruction book, paper, even little mats for displaying your handiwork. It was like fate, you guys, I am telling you. Of course I wasn't about to let a silhouette kit get away from me a second time- I snapped it right up and carried it out like the prize that it is.

I know what you're thinking. "This is all well and good, Erin, but where are the silhouettes? We want to see some silhouettes already!!!" Not everyone can pick up a pair of scissors and with minimal effort become a true silhouette artist, but I think you'll agree that this is clearly my true calling. Without further ado...


This is my first attempt. Can you guess who it is?
If you said young Ben Franklin, you'd be wrong. It's my sister, Adriane.


And who might this be?
No, it's not old Ben Franklin. It's my cousin Callie!


This one is tricky...
It's just a girl I copied from the box the silhouette kit came in.



You haven't met this character yet.
It's my new red bird.

This was an attempt at someone with a bun in their hair, and tendrils.
My cousin Amy modeled and was not happy with how her neck came out.

So I made this lady with a nice long neck.
Finally I made this man with glasses. He turned out to look a little like Drew Carey, or maybe an old time man in a driving cap.


I think my natural skills and ability are pretty evident in the above silhouettes. I'm quite certain you can say that you've never seen anything quite like it. I hope you'll keep me in mind the next time you're having an event. Think of how much your guests would enjoy custom silhouettes while they wait!

Comments

Filleman Family said…
my boys will model for you whenever you want :)
GeleeneG said…
Why was A wearing Ben Franklin's hairstyle?
AprilJ said…
I knew the first one was Adriane!!!! I remember getting silhoetted (sic) at Disney 100 years ago when I didn't mind looking at a side view of my face (things have changed, I won't be a model but I'm sure Kara would LOVE to do it for you.. It is a physical impossibility for Clay to sit still, sorry to say). SO, it begs the question: where does one get a job doing such craft? Disneyland?
Adriane said…
For the record, my hair didn't look like that. The one of Amy still makes me laugh so hard...
Tracey said…
Do your scissors make little flashing sounds when you snip?

Popular Posts